Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)

As soon as 10.04 was released I burned a copy to CD. I decided to take the easy way out and
use the distribution upgrade method in update-manager and save the CD for whatever.

Starting with a completely well used version of 8.10 (Intrepid) I upgraded to 9.04 (Jaunty).
The upgrade failed and locked the keyboard and after trying everything else I ended up forcing a reboot - At least I had a CD, but nah, I'll try the upgrade again.

After a reboot I started the update-manager again and it seemed to want to continue where it left off. One more reboot and it 'seemed' clean. Forging on ahead I upgraded to 9.10 (Karmic) - smooth, perfect, until a reboot....Grub 2 is now used but my grub 1 boot screen was still appearing and the kernel versions were all, well weird.

So who cares, pick the latest kernel and let it boot and do the final upgrade to 10.04 (Lucid), right?

Bad move on my part, grub 2 totally taken over and the machine won't boot since my original grub menu is displaying and I can't find where this is coming from on any partition.

Booted from the original CD and installed to an empty partition. What I should have done in the first place :P

No comments:

Post a Comment